Oregon Chapter LCTHF





  Oregon Chapter of the  
  Lewis and Clark Trail Heritage Foundation  

  Board Meeting Minutes, Turner, OR  
  January 13, 2001  

The meeting was held in the home of Mike Carrick. Attendees: Jay Rasmussen, Mike Carrick, Glen Kirkpatrick, Dick Hohnbaum, Don Eppenbach, Larry McClure, Roger Wendlick, Linda Nelson, Doug Erickson, and Keith Hay.

Treasurer's Report-Dick reported our current bank balance is $272.83 cents. It was noted that the current low balance should grow considerably as membership renewals will be sent out shortly.

Bylaw Change-The Board considered changing Article III, Section 1 that currently reads "No officer or director may be elected for more than two consecutive terms" to read "No President, Vice President or director may be elected for more than two consecutive terms. There are no term limits for the offices of Secretary or Treasurer." A resolution was made and passed to present the proposed change to the bylaws for a vote at the next general member meeting.

Discussion on increasing membership and member participation-A general brainstorming session followed on how we could increase membership, increase renewal rates, and get more group participation.

Keith suggested that it would be worth the extra costs to send out a separate stamped return envelope and membership renewal notice. He thought too many people simply forget when it is combined in the newsletter. The Board thought this was a good idea.

Don and Glen thought that quality name speakers combined with food type events have demonstrated to bring out the membership.

Keith presented the results of a study of conducted a few years ago:
Members most wanted:
1) Learning more about the expedition in Oregon and Washington.
2) Enhancing L&C sites.
3) Education opportunities in schools.
Least popular ideas:
1) Learning more about L&C activities in other states.

Mike mentioned Joyce Hunsaker is available in Portland to do Sacagawea.
Jay mentioned this would go great at the upcoming artist forum, Saturday April 21, 2001 at the new Beaverton Public Library. Invitees include Dr. Albert Furtwangler, Sydney Stevens, Martin Plamondon II, Roland Smith, Ron Craig and Anne Simms. Other thoughts include Mark Hamilton who is apparently back in Portland, and Doug/Roger to do a presentation on the Journals.

Doug suggested Corporate help and inviting booksellers to chapter meetings.

Larry provided a document from Oregon Council for the Humanities that offers free programs. Three of these are L&C related.

Don talked about the upcoming L&C Bicentennial October 14 Heritage Trail Days in Boardman and the potential to coordinate a Chapter meeting in conjunction with this festivity

Linda volunteered to work on sending a letter to people who have not renewed. Glen agreed to send her the database by e-mail.

Doug mentioned Jerry Igo and his expertise on native plants.

Keith mentioned the William P. Sherman lecture series. Bill Sherman is in Portland and may be able to help us fund some projects.

Doug talked about a possible event about recognition of Irving Anderson that could serve as the program portion of a Chapter meeting.

Chapter News Letter-ideas and suggestions

Linda volunteered to write up the idea of gift memberships.

Keith suggested sending the Newsletter to the 2005 group and thought we could pick up a few members in that group immediately.

Projects

Keith reported the water trail guide was complete and he had received much interest in the book. Problems with publishing through OHS include no marketing and they would require a different size of book. Also, they would not publish until 2005. Several other people, including Glen, suggested other publishers that would be very interested in the book and that there are other choices to get it published.

The Name badge design was discussed. The group voted to accept the Anita Walker design.

Keith talked about the Tri-state guidebook. It was behind schedule and needs to get moving. The book needs photos. Molly Coyle Smith is now heading up the project.

Keith brought up the idea of L&C License Plates. A discussion followed on what the money might be used for. Some thought Salmon restoration would be a good idea. Larry suggested the money to go to LCBO for signage, interpretive sites and campsite restoration and that this would be more easily sold to ODOT.

Jay mentioned the marker for Rivet. Tom Heckker has volunteered to be the project contact on this.

Larry talked the need to work with elementary schools and to get guide book materials to them. One of the problems was that the material must be tied to the educational benchmarks. Otherwise the teachers will not want to spend time on the material if it does not help them meet their goal requirements. Teachers also need guidelines to seek funding and that this should just be for Oregon teachers. Some of the items in the works were a presentation by Doug and Tubman Middle school to contact Glen about some educational opportunities. Roger suggested an idea that was liked by everybody and that was to add Pomp's Corner to our newsletter to add something for the younger set.

Roger and Keith talked about the Chinooks and how we should all work to build a positive working relationship and that we all need to be careful about our words and descriptions of the native peoples. There are three potential longhouse reconstruction projects on the lower Columbia and we should work to help them.

Jay mentioned Rusty Hampton of the Dalles is starting up their own LCTHF group centered around the Dalles Discovery Center. A discussion followed on what we could or should do about it. The consensus was that this would be a small group and that we probably had more to gain than loose through increased L&C activity. The group's leader was currently away from the Dalles and unavailable.

Roger suggested we have at least one meeting on the east side of the mountains. The Board decided to do this in conjunction with the October 14 LCTH days event on October 14 in Boardman. We decided to meet on Saturday October 13 in Irrigon Senior Center.

The subject of Martha Clark was discussed. Doug indicated the 1st addition to Coues and a book Glittering Hill has good genealogical information. Also, there is a Bud Clark in Michigan that has genealogical information.

Larry indicated that Ted Kay is looking for review services to check books for accuracy. The board felt that we should follow up on this as this is one of our missions and this could be a good source of funds.

Keith gave an LCBO update. Meetings set next month in Vancouver and January 25 in Portland. The Portland meeting involved 13 different projects on the area rivers.

Clark's Point of View
Next followed a spirited discussion of the effort to re-name Bird Point on Tillamook Head to Clark's Point of View. After the initial shouting match, Roger gave his point of view followed by Glen' Point of View.

Roger's contention was that Tillamook Head was named Clark's View on January 4 as evidenced in Gass's edited Journal, long before the explorers ever set foot on the mountain. This later became Clark's Mountain and Point of View after Clark's trip to the whale site. His contention is Point of View refers to the entirety of Tillamook Head and that Clark's descriptions are from several locations both on the north and south side of Tillamook Head. This means "the other side" means the other side of Tillamook Head and not the other side of a single spot where Clark was standing. Glen pointed out that in order to make this interpretation work required Clark to miss-plot his campsite on the summit of Tillamook Head and that the evidence suggesting this campsite is mis-plotted is weak.

Glen readily admitted that the numerous journal entries refer to the entire body of Tillamook Head as Clark's Point of View. However, he maintains this does preclude Clark from reaching one location on Tillamook Head where he made his famous journal entry from a point (Roger infers Point to mean place and not a geographic feature). In fact, the compass bearings and the description placing a point between Clark and Point Adams is strong evidence he did reach Bird Point and at a minimum saw Cape Disappointment, Point Adams, and points south from one spot. Glen indicated that possibilities to explain the lack of a view of the Clatsop Plains from Bird Point today include topographic changes due to erosion and land sliding, or that Clark simply embellished his description from the intimate knowledge he had of the Clatsop Plains.

The fact is, both viewpoints (pun intended), are interpretations of the historical journals. Both are possible and we will likely never know exactly how Clark arrived at his famous description. However, it is clear in the journals, Clark's Mountain and Point of View refers to the entire body of Tillamook Head and not a single location on the Mountain.

The solution to a recommendation to the Oregon Geographic Names Board is that we name the summit of Tillamook Head as Clark's Mountain. This avoids the arguments over the Point of View. Glen indicated his bottom line on recommendations to the Oregon geographic Names board is that it be historically correct and that is befitting the achievements of William Clark. Naming the summit of Tillamook Head meets these criteria. Everybody agrees that this is both historically correct and properly honors William Clark. The summit of Tillamook Head has no previous names that anybody is aware of and naming this location will therefore be easier to accomplish than a name change. Glen also indicated that the recommendation back the Oregon Geographic names board recognize that Clark did likely reach Bird Point where he had extensive views north and south. The Board voted and unanimously approved the resolution.

Glen indicated he would re-write the proposed recommendation to the Oregon Geographic Names Board and pass it by Jay and Roger for approval.

New Business

Dick mentioned that we do not have any activities until April and that we need to fill in this gap. Doug and Roger volunteered to do a presentation on the journals on either March 17 or 24th. Dick to finalize the location and date.

Mike talked about the Hat controversy and passed around a leather case made from beaver leather.

The meeting was adjourned and we all view Mike fantastic collection of arms and had a great lunch provided by the Carricks'.

Glen Kirkpatrick
Secretary, Oregon Chapter LCTHF




For information on joining the National Lewis & Clark Trail Heritage Foundation click here.

For information on joining the Oregon State Chapter click here.



Return to Oregon State Chapter Main Page

Return to L & C Archive List

Posted: January 26, 2001


Send Questions, Comments and Corrections to Jay Rasmussen